BEST OF CROATIA AND SLOVENIA 9 DAYS
This 9 day custom tour has two interesting options – end on Day 7 in the seaside city of Split and join one of the many cruises to the Croatian islands or if staying on land is more your thing, add an extra day to your land vacation and end your tour in Dubrovnik. Two great options to explore the best of Croatia and Slovenia!
Zagreb – Trakoscan Castle – Varazdin – Ljubljana – Postojna cave and Predjama custle – Hum – Motovun – Opatija – Pula – Rovinj – Rastoke – Plitvice Lakes National Park – Split + Cruise and/or Split – Trogir – Dubrovnik
1. day: Zagreb
- Upon arrival in Zagreb Airport and private transfer to hotel, start the afternoon with your guided tour. Zagreb is the capital and economic centre of Croatia. Explore the historic fortified upper town, visit the Cathedral of St. Stephen, the famous St. Mark’s church with its multicolored roof and the bustling town market. End the day with a welcome dinner. Overnight Zagreb.
2.day: Zagreb – Trakoščan Castle – Varaždin – Ljubljana
- Starting off the day with a visit to Trakošćan Castle, in the nearby Hrvatsko Zagorije region, explore the castle on a guided tour. Trakošćan Castle is perhaps the most famous of Croatian castles – overlooking a man-made lake with a boardwalk around the entire lake (3mi.) and beautiful gardens. Built in the 13th century, the castle is believed to have been built as an observation fortress.
- We will then visit Varaždin, one of the oldest and most beautiful cities in Croatia, a baroque city known for its music and flowers. Visit the old town’s beautiful fort, which dates back to the 12th century, the Varaždin cemetery, created by the visionary Herman Haller – an architectural jewel.
- Overnight Ljubljana.
3.day: Ljubljana – Postojna cave and Predjama castle – Ljubljana
- Starting the day in Ljubljana, visit the main sights of the city including the Three Bridges, Preseren Square, Ljubljana Market just to name a few. View stunning architecture from many different influences over the course of the Ljubljana history.
- In the afternoon, we visit Postojna cave and Predjama castle. Overnight in Ljubljana
4.day: Ljubljana – Hum – Motovun – Opatija
- After breakfast, travel to Croatia’s Istrian region visiting the smallest town in the world, Hum, with only 17 residents. Become acquainted with the beginnings of the Croatian written language (Glagoljica). Travel to the nearby hilltop village of Motovun, famous for its Venetian architecture and the Motovun Film Festival. Enjoy famous Istrian delicacies likes truffles, prosciutto and exquisite local wines during lunch. Feel like a local during a special truffle hunt! End the day in the seaside town of Opatija.
- Overnight in Opatija.
5.day: Opatija – Pula – Rovinj – Opatija
- Enjoy an early morning walk along the Opatija promenade, before heading to Pula, famous if its Roman amphitheatre, dating back to the 1st century. Take in the sights before departing for Rovinj, a historical fishing town full of romance and mystery, dominated by the baroque church of St. Euphemia with its 200 foot tower that reveals a breathtaking view of the region. Visit the Batana House Eco Museum showcasing local boat building traditions.Stroll down the ‘Street of Artists” or discover the small streets, stone houses and small squares full of locals watching the world go by.
- Overnight Opatija.
6.day: Opatija – Rastoke – Plitvice Lakes National Park – Trogir
- Today we will make a stop at Rastoke en route to Plitvice Lakes National Park. Rastoke is famous for its well-preserved mills and small picturesque waterfalls along the Slunjčica river, which flows into the river Korana. Plitvice Lakes is an UNESCO World Heritage site with an amazing 15 acres of national park. Be mesmerized by breathtaking waterfalls that cascade from one level to another and stunning natural scenery. Make sure your cameras are charged today!
- Overnight Trogir.
7.day: Trogir – Split – Orebić
- After breakfast, we will visit World Heritage site, the medieval town of Trogir. Trogir is affectionately known as the city that has not changed in 2,300 years. The entire city is made of stone and there is no modern architecture. Whether you sit in the city square and people watch, visit the old fort, shop at the markets or climb to the top of the bell tower, you will never want to leave this charming city. Just a short journey away, we will explore the historical city of Split, exploring the UNESCO World Heritage site of the Diocletian Palace on a guided tour. Enjoy a coffee, basking in the sun and watching the locals go about their day on one of the most famous promenade in Croatia, the Splitska Riva. Our trip continue towards peninsula Pelješac.
- Overnight Orebić ( peninsula Pelješac ).
- Our final day is in the exquisite walled city of Dubrovnik, the Pearl of the Adriatic. Dubrovnik is the most famous World Heritage site in Croatia. Explore the old town and its most famous sites. You might take the tour with a walk along the old city walls, encompassing the city centre. Enjoy breathtaking views around every corner. We will have a boat ride around Dubrovnik or you can take cable car to top of hill Srđ and enjoy stunning view on Dubrovnik.
- Overnight Orebić ( peninsula Pelješac ).
- After breakfast a transfer to the airport will be awaiting you.
TRAVEL PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- Private transfer and driver throughout the tour
- Transfer from Zagreb Airport to Hotel and Hotel to Dubrovnik Airport
- Tour representative throughout
- Accommodation at 3 star hotels ( 4 star hotel in Opatija )
- Halfboard at hotel ( breakfast and dinner )
- Entrance fees on tours ( Trakošćan Castle, Postojna cave and Predjama castle,Amfitheatre in Pula, Plitvice lakes, Diocletian palace )
- Lunch at local farm restaurant or truffle hunting in Istria
- Ticket for Dubrovnik walls
- Ticket for cable car to top of hill Srđ above Dubrovnik or boat ride around Dubrovnik
Below are some great 8 day cruises that can be added onto our exciting land tours (from day 7).
Ask us for details!
Southern Explorer from Split
Route: SPLIT – MAKARSKA – MLJET – DUBROVNIK – TRSTENIK – KORČULA – HVAR – (Bol) SPLIT
Deluxe One Way Cruise from Split to Dubrovnik
Route: SPLIT (first night) – HVAR – Biševo (Blue cave)/VIS – KORČULA – MLJET – SLANO/Ston (Captain’s dinner) –DUBROVNIK
Bike Cruise North – Island Hopping Dalmatia
Route: SPLIT – ROGOZNICA – BETINA – BRBINJ – SALI / TRIBUNJ –SKRADIN – VODICE – PRIMOŠTEN / SPLIT
Bike Cruise South – Island Hopping Dalmatia
Route: SPLIT – BRAČ – HVAR – KORČULA – MLJET – PELJEŠAC &MAKARSKA – OMIŠ & SPLIT
Mini One Way Cruise from Split to Dubrovnik
Route: SPLIT – MAKARSKA – MLJET – DUBROVNIK
Croatia Nature & Culture Cruise
Route: SPLIT – ROGOZNICA – KRKA WATERFALLS (Skradin) /
ŠIBENIK / VODICE – KORNATI / SALI – ZADAR – ZLARIN –TROGIR – SPLIT
Southern Pearls One Way Cruise from Split to Dubrovnik
Route: SPLIT – MAKARSKA – (BOL) STARI GRAD – HVAR – Biševo (Blue cave) / VIS – KORČULA – (MLJET) ŠIPAN or
SLANO – DUBROVNIK